Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is this the official Florida’s driver permit exam?
A. Yes, the Florida’s Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) has authorized Florida Driving Permit to provide the written permit test online.
2. What if I have already taken the Drug and Alcohol Course?
A. If you completed the Drug and Alcohol Course on another online website, then simply register at Florida Driving Permit, create an user ID and password and take the DHSMV Exam online. However, the Florida DHSMV does not require you to take the exam with the same school in which you completed your Drug and Alcohol Course.
3. I took the Drug and Alcohol Course somewhere else. Can I take the DHSMV Permit’s test online here?
A. Yes. The Florida DHSMV allows the student to complete the online exam with any authorized provider, but you cannot take any part of the exam more than three times.
4. What identification do I need to complete the online exam?
A. To complete the exam online you will need to provide the following student identification information:
- Full Name
- Date of Birth
- Last 5 Digits of your Social Security Number (SSN), Admissions Number, Alien Registration Number or ID Card Number
For a list of documentation requirements to receive a driver's license or ID card please visit Gathergoget.com
5. How old do you have to be to take the DHSMV written test online?
A. The eligible ages for the online driver permit exams are 15, 16, and 17. Any new driver 18 years of age or older taking the DHSMV Test must take it in person at a local DHSMV Office, NOT ONLINE.
6. How does the DHSMV Online Exam work?
A. The online permit exam is a 60-minute, 50-question exam consisting of road rules and road signs questions. To successfully pass the exam, you must correctly answer 40 questions. After you have correctly answered 40 questions the exam will end.
7. What if I fail the online exam?
A. If you fail the online Florida DHSMV Exam the first time, don't worry! You are allowed two re-takes if you do not pass on your first attempt. Although there is a re-test fee each time. If you are still unsuccessful after three attempts, you will be required to go to the DHSMV driver's license offices or your local tax collector’s office and request a re-test. You do not have to take all re-takes from the same school. And you are able to take the retake at the driver's license office.
8. What happens after I complete the course?
A. Your information will automatically be reported to the DHSMV.
9. What documents do I need to take to the DHSMV?
A. If you are under the age of 18, you need:
- A parental consent form which must be signed in the presence of a driver license examiner, or notarized prior if a parent or guardian will not be present. Visit FLHSMV to access this form,
- Proof of identity (e.g. Birth Certificate)
- Social Security Number, Admissions Number, Alien Registration Number or ID Card Number
- Proof of Residential Address
GatherGoGet.com has a detailed list of these requirements.
10. Do I need anything else to get my permit?
A. Once you've successfully completed the permit exam, schedule your appointment, and bring the appropriate documents to the DHSMV and your local tax collector’s office. That's all you need!
11. How do I complete my written exam?
A. We offer the DHSMV exam online. You also have the option of completing the permit and license exam prep, which will help you pass the exam and prepare for your test.
12. Can I just take the permit test?
A. Yes. We allow you to complete the permit test by itself to meet your DHSMV Learner's Permit exam requirement. Click the register link in the menu to begin registering.